Time for a MAJOR Webcomic Shake-Up

Vanita looks away awkwardly, pointing both index fingers together.

I have a major announcement regarding update schedules for my two webcomics, The Legend of Jamie Roberts AND Vanita and the Demon King.

As of today, the hiatus for The Legend of Jamie Roberts is going to extend into next year, perhaps even to the end of August 2027.

Vanita and the Demon King will be on hold for much shorter, so that when it comes back online, it will update twice, perhaps even three times, per week.

WHY AM I DOING THIS

In short, The Legend of Jamie Roberts got a MAJOR rewrite last year (for behind-the-scenes personal reasons that I won’t get into right now). The rewrite meant needing to re-outline the entire second half of the story. This was hard to achieve on the webcomic update schedule I was maintaining, on top of other responsibilities at the time.

To give The Legend of Jamie Roberts the space and time it needs, I need to put public updates on hold. The outline is re-written. Now I need to script and sketch the next three (if not five) chapters.

HOWEVER…

Vanita and the Demon King is fully scripted and edited. It’s ready to go, and ready for multiple-times-a-week updates. I just could not do it until something big happened, like The Legend of Jamie Roberts going on hold.

HOW AM I DOING THIS

I did the math, especially since we’re over halfway through the telling of Vanita and the Demon King. If this webcomic goes to twice a week updates, the story can finish in 9 months. If it goes to three times a week updates, the story can finish in 6 months.

This update schedule will give me the time and space I need to do scripts for The Legend of Jamie Roberts, AND finish telling Vanita and the Demon King to completion!

So, I’m going to work on building up a backlog of pages for Vanita and the Demon King. Once I get a backlog of at least 4 months worth of public updates, then updates can start resuming!

DOES THIS MEAN VANITA AND THE DEMON KING IS COMING BACK ONLINE SOON?

Not right away. I want to build that backlog first. I don’t know how long that will take, especially with my other responsibilities (like my day jobs and taking care of myself).

As soon as I have a solid return date, I will make another announcement. My goal is to get Vanita and the Demon King back online before December 2026.

Once Vanita and the Demon King is told to completion, I may or may not run a crowdfunding campaign to get the book printed. It really depends on circumstances outside of my control (fuck the tariffs).

The more important thing to note is: once Vanita and the Demon King is fully told, The Legend of Jamie Roberts will come back online – and ALSO update twice a week!

IN SHORT

Getting to update a webcomic twice a week (or more) has been a goal of mine ever since Validation wrapped up back in 2019. Vanita and the Demon King is the first comic I can start doing that with. Then, once it’s finished, The Legend of Jamie Roberts can do the same.

I’m very excited about what’s to come! I know it’s a major shake-up compared to how I usually go about posting webcomics.

This is happening to tell the best webcomic stories that I can, at a pace that’s sustainable. I appreciate your understanding and support through this endeavor.

Stay tuned for the next announcement, when I have a more solid date of when Vanita and the Demon King is coming back online.

That’s all for now. Thank you for your support!

You. Are. Awesome.

HerdCon, Here I Come!

This Friday AND Saturday, March 24 and 25th, it’s HerdCon Weekend in Huntington, WV!

I’m only going to be there for Saturday – but be sure to go for the Friday events, including a 1 pm live show of Sawbones, the podcast from Justin and Sydney McElroy, yo.

But yeah, I won’t be down in time for the Friday events, since I’m coming in from Toledo – which is a hike, to say the least. I WILL, however, be there all day on Saturday. Find me in the Artist and Vendor hall.

WHAT WILL I HAVE?

I’m bringing my usual setup of comics. I’m also bringing…

  • Extra copies of The Stars of Fantasyville, my latest sketchbook,
  • misprints of The Legend of Jamie Roberts, volume 1,
  • The last of my pins from my (now closed) Pin Club,
  • Free stickers,
  • Clearance prints,
  • Lots of grab bags,
  • And a LOT more!

Any and all profits will help towards my move to a new apartment in May.

Heads Up – if it sells out at HerdCon, I WILL NOT restock it for RathaCon the following weekend.

Another Heads Up – My Ko-fi shop will be temporarily closed during HerdCon weekend. To be specific, the Ko-fi Shop will be closed all day Friday, March 24, until Sunday morning, March 26. Thank you for your understanding.

That’s all for now. I’m so excited to be going back to HerdCon in person this year!

Thank you for your support. Hope to see you there!

You. Are. Awesome.

No More Live Streams??

I have one last stream on February 18. In this one, my comics buddy Ben Wright-Heuman and I will be discussing the END of social media as we know it…And what indie creators can do.

After that stream, there will be no live streams until further notice.

WHY?

In short – I’m starting a new, temporary office job this upcoming Tuesday. It’s on weekdays only, but it IS full-time. I took the gig to help me save up for a new apartment.

For now, this leaves all my comics-making to evenings and weekends. There aren’t TOO many conventions lined up during my time at the office. But there are some. So I have to plan accordingly.

So I looked at the work I do right now, and made choices on what to continue and what to stop.

I will NOT stop making The Legend of Jamie Roberts, New Punk Signal, Vanita and the Demon King, and other comics. Those are important. To stop working on them would feel like cutting off my fingers to me. I can wiggle on other things, but my comics are my priority.

For me, live streams have to end.

They require a lot from me that I don’t have the energy for right now. Setting aside 2 to 3 hours in one day for one stream? Making assets for it? Live chat moderation? Managing a StreamYard subscription to stream on multiple platforms? There is a LOT that goes on behind the scenes for a stream. And once the office job starts up, I won’t have time for them.

BUT…

Instead of live streams, I’m going to make videos.

With videos and vlogs, I can work on those in small chunks of time, rather than one long time slot. A lot of the material for a vlog, like recording my art process, is stuff I’m already doing. So making videos is not a drastic change to my workflow.

(Exporting and uploading videos are time sinks to consider, though. But I have ideas for how to work with, or around, those.)

So yeah.

The Feb 18 stream is my last live stream until further notice.

If I DO return to streams, they’ll be on YouTube ONLY. Twitch just doesn’t work for an artist like me.

Should any other changes come, I will let you know (of course).

That’s all for now. I appreciate your understanding!

You. Are. Awesome.

Adventures in Moving – Being Safe

In these uncertain times, I’m making this announcement in the Adventures in Moving: I’m being safe, and delaying my move date.

For folks who are out of the loop, I planned on moving because the house I’m renting got sold. Thankfully, mom (who owned the house before) sold it to my sister. Because of that, the time table to move is more relaxed.

However, it is NOT relaxed for my sister’s current roommate. Currently, he’s renting an apartment from a preeeety shady landlord. This landlord has been demanding consistent rent payments and will kick out anyone whose lease runs out if the renter does not renew. Even during these uncertain times.

And what do you know? This roommate’s lease runs out in the beginning of June.

He also has a dog. An elderly, pain in the ass dog, whom both of my cats HATE. And he also has a kitten.

The house I’m in is small – so fitting 3 people under the roof is a challenge. Add an extra dog and cat, and that becomes my sister, the roommate, me, four cats, and two dogs (because my sister has a dog, too) under one dinky roof.

So I DO intend to move before June starts.

However, with coronavirus still being A THING, I’ve heard through the grapevine that Ohio intends to open the state back up around May 1.

I am of the opinion that this is WAY TOO DAMN SOON.

(Personally, I prefer the relief effort ViHart outlines in her latest video. Go check it out if you haven’t seen it yet.)

So I’m going to be safe.

Right now, the plan is to move out of my current home between May 15 and May 31. There are contingency plans if the move has to be delayed. But this is the current plan.

Where am I moving to? Well, it’s looking like the Toledo area – but Columbus is still an option.

That’s where things are at for now. As things change, I’ll keep you posted.

Thank you for reading!

You. Are. Awesome.

On Vacation, BRB

Starting today, I will be on vacation. I’ll be back in the office August 12.

That means The Legend of Jamie Roberts, Indie Comics Hub, the email newsletter, KickStarter fulfillment, and email and Facebook page posts are ALL on hiatus.

These projects will come back online at various times. After August 12, keep an eye on Facebook and Instagram for more updates.

Thank you for your understanding, and I will see you again soon!