My sister Kia and I were running a KickStarter to help fund the beginning of our new webcomic, Seeing Him.
It did not meet the goal.
To be honest, Kia and I weren’t really sure whether this project would get funded or not. We were hoping for the best, whatever the best may be.
Now that the KickStarter is over, I think, for now, it DID turned out for the best.
I am sad our comic cannot be made right away.
However, we did learn the following things from this KickStarter:
- People WANT to support indie comic creators (we did, after all, raise a little over $500. We didn’t get any of that money because KickStarter is an all-or-nothing fundraising system, but people were still willing to contribute money towards our project!)
- People WANT to see more positive trans representation, especially for trans men.
- People are more altruistic than we are lead to believe.
- And digital rewards are way more popular than I thought they would be.
Kia and I are going to take these lessons in and plan our next move.
We are hoping to fund raise for the project again sometime after New Years, and perhaps…
- Lower the asking goal.
- Offer more/only digital rewards (so we don’t spend our funds on making rewards for the backers, therefore justifying our lower goal amount and getting the comic made faster and sooner)
- Offer more ways backers can be included into the comic, because MY GOODNESS during the campaign the $100 reward to be drawn as a recurring character got sold out FAST.
As soon as Kia and I have a plan, I will let you fabulous readers know so we can try again and, hopefully, succeed.
Thank you to everyone who shared Seeing Him on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and elsewhere on the internet.
Thank you to all of the backers who contributed (sorry we didn’t make the goal).
And a very special thank you to my friends and family who were eager and supportive for our project. You know who you are.
Again, stay tuned for further developments for Seeing Him!
Thank you for reading (and for all of your support), and I will see you tomorrow.